- It all started August 11, 1931 in Denver, Colorado. A group of eight individuals from the National Federation of Federal Employees submitted a Certificate of Organization to the state requesting the formation of the Denver Credit Union.
- In the 1940’s many federal employees moved to the Denver Federal Center in Lakewood. To stay convenient and close to our members, Denver Credit Union also moved to the Federal Center.
- In the 1950’s we changed our name to Denver Interior Employees Credit Union (DIECU).
- In 1982, we added the location at 9305 West Alameda Avenue (our current main branch).
- In 1987, we changed our name to Credit Union of Denver to better reflect our expanding field of membership to include the greater Denver metropolitan area.
- 2021 brings our 90th Anniversary. A time to look back on where we’ve been and all we’ve accomplished. Over the years we’ve grown in size to over 65,000 members and more than $1 billion in assets. But the one thing that hasn’t changed is how much we value our member owners.
“To be a trusted partner for our members in reaching their financial goals by providing superior value, products and service.”
As a credit union, we are a not-for-profit, member-owned, financial cooperative. Being not-for-profit means our goal is to return as much as possible to our members in the form of better interest rates, lower fees, and innovative services. In addition, we have taken a minimal branch strategy, which keeps our costs down so we can offer even more value to our members.
At the same time, we are part of the CO-OP Shared Branch network that allows our members to perform a range of transactions at other participating credit unions across Colorado and the rest of the country. As part of the CO-OP ATM network, our members have access to over 30,000 surcharge-free ATMs covering all 50 states and 10 countries. We also offer a great full-featured mobile app that includes free mobile check deposit* and gives our members free access to their credit score and credit report. Whether you live nearby, or across the country, these options enable our members to access their accounts wherever are, with no fees or charges for any of these services.
Being member-owned means the credit union is owned and controlled by the people who use our services. The members of the credit union elect other members to serve on the Board of Directors and Supervisory Committee. We don’t have stockholders like banks do. Most banks are owned by stockholders and the bank’s purpose is to increase the wealth of their stockholders…not necessarily the customers of the bank. The credit union’s sole purpose is to serve our members and give them the best possible value.
We are dedicated to engaging with our community and providing financial education and resources for our members. At Credit Union of Denver, we want to be our members’ trusted partner in reaching their financial goals. As such, we are committed to providing our members with outstanding service that includes being honest, reliable, convenient and compassionate. If you’re not already a member, you are welcome to join us.
We aspire to enrich our members’ lives by delivering the best value, innovation and personal service while remaining financially strong.
Read this Video Transcript
Board of Directors
Board members provide leadership and are responsible for establishing policies for the credit union operations and activities. They meet once a month and occasionally an additional meeting may be called for special matters.
- Kristina Sapp – Chairman of the Board
- Russel Smith Jr. – Secretary/Treasurer
- Lee Allen
- Carl Bingham
- Doug Burke
- Fernando Rocha
- Donna Piazza
- George Volentir
They are responsible for the accurate financial reporting and safeguarding members’ assets through auditing and supervision of our operations as governed by the bylaws and the state and federal regulators. This committee meets once a month. Current members are:
- Laura Avila – Chairman
- Jacqueline Ganger – Vice Chairman
- Megan Estep – Secretary
- Aimee Cucarola
- Robin Morthland
- Joshua Reddell
Volunteers provide the guiding force for all credit unions.
Volunteers are the backbone of Credit Union of Denver. For over 90 years, the credit union has provided value and financial stability to its members. They determine the direction of the credit union and approve policies that govern the credit union’s operations and growth. Did you know you could be a volunteer too? As a member of the credit union, you are eligible to run for an elected office if you are at least 21 years of age, bondable, a member in good standing and you must be genuinely interested in providing leadership to assure the future of your credit union, and be of sound judgement in financial and business matters.
For any questions regarding volunteer opportunities, please contact our Credit Union of Denver Executive Assistant, Katie Danek-Sodt at 303.239.1113.
Credit Union of Denver offers our team members many different benefits. There are tangible benefits like insurance and the non-tangible like our teamwork and welcoming atmosphere. Our team promotes inclusion and values its coworkers as much as the members we serve. We want people that share our values of respect, honesty, communication, cooperation, and positive approach to be part of our team.
Credit Union of Denver is an equal opportunity employer, (gender, minority, veterans, disabled). No person shall be discriminated against in any condition of employment because of race, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, religion, age, genetic information, disability, veteran status or any other status protected by applicable law.
We offer these benefits:
- Vacation Pay
- Sick Pay
- Medical Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Disability Insurance
- AFLAC Supplemental Insurance
- 401(k) Plan
- Volunteer Time Off
- Flexible Spending Accounts
- Holiday Pay
- Bereavement & Jury Duty Leave
- Service Awards
- Educational Assistance
- Employee Assistance Program
- Employee Wellness Program
- Credit Union Service Benefits
- Profit-Sharing Program
- Free Parking
See all the current employment opportunities